For years now many columnist thought Robotic Process Automation (RPA) had the potential to replace Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) companies. RPA was supposed to be the next best thing when it comes to businesses getting more done for less money. Having computer software performing repetitive tasks that previously required an administrative employee has impacted the BPO industry in a surprisingly different way.
BPO companies by no means feel to be in competition with RPA and are actually reaping the benefits of the technology. Automating back office processes is what outsourcing is all about and RPA technology allow BPO’s to handle a much larger workload. RPA can not replace the BPO industry because outsourcing is an exchange of business services where one company pays another to do something. RPA can however assist companies in completing those processes that may or may not be outsourced.
BPO’s Reaping The Benefits Of RPA
Outsourcing companies are well known for their expertise in managing people and processes. Handling massive amounts of transactions in the most efficient way is how the BPO industry has become so successful. RPA addresses the need for BPO companies to continuously seek innovative ways to gain a competitive advantage by completing processes more accurately, in less time and at less cost. BPO companies have greatly benefited by using RPA technology to create their virtual workforce.
How BPO’s Benefit From RPA
- Improved Quality. Operational risks are lowered when work performance is consistent. RPA completes tasks the exact same way for every occurence with no chance of deviation. Even the most careful people still make mistakes but with RPA work is always done error-free.
- Productivity Boost. Many back office processes can be handled by RPA and be completed in a fraction of the time it would take an employee. Manually entering information into forms and copying data is a waste of time and manpower. RPA’s work at lightning speeds with no breaks necessary.
- Reduced Costs. BPO’s are able to significantly reduce their expenditures with RPA while still taking on more clients. Work is done at a much lower rate with automation and at the sametime frees up employees for other tasks. BPO companies can raise their bottom line by creating more output with less money.
- Easy Amalgamation. Implementing new business processes into current operations is much smoother when a BPO company uses RPA. Developing a process and putting it into production is simple since most RPA elements can be re-used for future tasks.
- Increased Flexibility. BPO companies are notorious for their production workload quickly changing with little to no warning. Taking on new clients and transitioning through the different seasons comes with a lot less stress on resources when using RPA. Ramping up or scaling down operations can literally be done with a click of a button.
BPO’s will continue to implement RPA technology into their available services and reap the benefits. Outsourcing is all about cutting costs, freeing up in-house employees and increasing efficiency so RPA was really a no-brainer for the BPO industry. While RPA has definitely made some changes in the outsourcing industry it has so far been quite welcoming by BPO companies.